Pit and Balcony Theatre is a 501(c) 3 non-profit organization that has long played a strong role in the realization and fulfillment of the vision of arts and culture in the Great Lakes Bay Region.
Pit and Balcony Theatre contributes to the culture of the community by offering opportunities to adults and youth to participate in all facets of the theatre arts from acting in high caliber, diverse shows and musicals, to working behind the scenes as part of the production team, to developing the Youth Theatre Program and encouraging an overall interest and enthusiasm for live theatre in our community.
Pit and Balcony Theatre presents five major plays in a season. There are two to three musicals in addition to dramas, comedies and mysteries. Each production runs six shows, four evenings and two Sunday matinees over a two week period.
The Pit and Balcony Youth Theatre Program offers one production annually and workshops in the spring.
Pit and Balcony Theatre began in 1932 when seven members of the American Association of University Women (AAUW) read and acted plays in their homes. After the first year the group had grown to over 200 members and the troupe was offered the carriage house of a private residence for performances. It was dubbed "the Barn". At this time, the group withdrew from the AAUW and established Pit and Balcony Theatre.
During January of 1943 a the Barn was razed by fire. The group then rented space in what is now Old Town Saginaw for rehearsals and performances were held at the Masonic Temple in Downtown Saginaw.
In 1948 vacant land at the corner of N. Hamilton and Throop was purchased and a building campaign began. Pit and Balcony members were actively involved in the construction of the theatre.In the fall of 1949, the first play in the new building was produced. Pit and Balcony Theatre remains in this building today.